What’s the latest health trend hooking everyone from soccer moms to celebrities like Jennifer Aniston? It’s the Alkaline Diet where you eat mostly alkaline foods to keep your body’s p-H at a certain, optimal level and avoid acidic foods, which, the diet claims, will put pressure on the liver and kidneys.

The diet claims it will not only help you shed pounds, but also do everything from boost your energy to make your bones stronger to give you glowing skin.

And there’s no counting calories on this diet – you just need to make sure 70 percent of your diet is alkaline and the remaining 30 percent is acidic. So, how can you tell if a food is alkaline or acidic? Basically, if it falls into the fruit or vegetable category – it’s alkaline! Meanwhile, practically anything else is acidic! Which means dieters cut down on, or flat out avoid, fish, meat, beans, bread, crackers, soda, coffee, and dairy products.

The Alkaline Diet says your body functions best when it’s in an “alkaline state” – with a p-H level of 7.3. How do you know if your body is in an alkaline state? You need to test your urine.

But the fact is - no foods can change the acidity of anything in your body, except your urine.  And anything that DID change the acidity in your body would make you very sick and could even kill you.

And doctors say there’s zero evidence this diet does anything but help you eat more vegetables.

Marjorie Nolan is a spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association and she says our body naturally regulates our pH between 7.3 and 7.4 no matter how we eat!

However, you can’t go wrong eating a diet rich in fruits and vegetables, and avoiding processed foods, soda, and alcohol! But if you do go alkaline, make sure you’re getting enough protein and calcium – otherwise, the alkaline diet will starve your body of those nutrients and you’ll become malnourished.